Date Published: 15-Aug-2016
1. OBJECTIVE The primary objective of the assignment is to provide: The requisite expert advice on key financial, commercial, financing, funding, risk allocation, tax and procurement (together “financial”) aspects of PPP project identification, preparation and implementation based on experience and knowledge of the market’s ability to provide finance and bear risks; and Capacity building of the PPP Unit, PPP Nodes and various other PPP bodies of the CAs
2. SCOPE OF WORK The Scope of Work in this assignment will include, but is not limited to, the tasks described below: a) Provide the requisite PPP financial and overall project structuring advice and support to the PPP Unit to enable it to carry out its mandate to assist CAs across various sectors and county governments to identify, select, appraise, approve, procure, negotiate PPP projects; Contract Management and Performance Monitoring of PPP projects throughout their cycle. b) Lead the operationalization of the PPP Project Facilitation Fund (PFF), in particular: Supporting GOK in identifying sources of possible subsidy where PPP projects may require government support to remain viable/affordable Engaging with stakeholders in both the private and public sectors to determine varying needs and perspectives with regards to PPP projects Engaging the DFIs (including institutional investors) in an effort to understand their concerns and challenges within the current PPP PFF framework c) Spearhead the PPP Unit’s efforts of establishing an Auditing and Accounting and Taxation Framework for PPP projects in Kenya d) Advise and assist the PPP Unit in the development of Kenya’s financial markets for PPP investment: Develop strong relationships with the long term financing market, both local and international, including commercial banks, IFIs, infrastructure/investment funds and other potential long term investors/financiers of the PPP market 2 e) Work closely with the PPP Unit’s: Legal Expert in the review of relevant sector laws, with regard to private sector participation, and make recommendations on areas for refinement and/or amendment to accommodate PPP projects; County PPP team in development and implementation of county-level PPP projects; and External Affairs Expert in the development of a PPP stakeholder engagement strategy f) Provide advice on the PPP capacity building requirements of the PPP Unit and the Contracting Authorities, and assist in the enhancement efforts: g) Provide expert financial input into all aspects of the Unit’s PPP activities, including consideration of available and emerging Project Finance principles.
3. The National Treasury (the Client) through its Project Implementation Unit (PIU) now invites eligible individual consultants to express their interest in providing the services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the services. Consultants should provide their most recent profiles showing their experience, qualifications, capabilities, references and details of past experience especially in the area of their expertise etc. The shortlisting criteria are: (a) University degree in finance/business/economics/accounting or any finance related qualification and preferably with a post graduate qualification in a PPP related field; (b) Minimum of 10 years’ demonstrated professional experience in PPPs and project finance with a proven track record in financial evaluation, modelling and risk quantification of PPP projects including VfM analysis, affordability and fiscal impact assessment; (c) Breadth and depth of sectoral and relevant experience, demonstrated experience in financially closing PPP projects will be an added advantage; (d) Geographical extent of PPP experience – credit will be given to experience of working with successful PPP programmes, both internationally and in markets similar to Kenya’s; (e) Demonstrated interpersonal and team leadership and participation skills; and (f) Fluency in spoken and written English.
4. The expression of interest is also open to interested firms who may wish to propose individual consultants. In such cases, only the experience and qualifications of the individuals proposed shall be taken into account in the selection process and not the firm’s corporate experience. Consequently, the ensuing contract agreement will be signed directly with the successful individual.
5. The attention of interested consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants [under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowers published in January 20112011and revised in July 2014 (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
6. Interested eligible individuals may obtain further information at the address given below during office hours between 0900 to 1700 hours, Monday – Friday inclusive, exclusive of public holidays, before the deadline for the submission of Expressions of Interest.
7. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with Selection of Individual Consultant method set out in the Consultants Guidelines. 8. Complete Expressions of Interest documents to be submitted in plain sealed envelopes with consultancy reference and name clearly marked on top should be delivered in person, sent by mail or by email to the address shown below or placed in the tender box at our offices on the 7th floor, Anniversary Towers, North Tower Postal Address: Project Implementation Unit Attention: Procurement Specialist P.O. Box 21190-00100 Nairobi, Kenya. Physical Address: Project Implementation Unit Attention: Procurement Specialist 7th Floor, Anniversary Towers, North Tower. Building No.19 Monrovia Street/University Way Nairobi, Kenya. Telephone No.: 254 - 20 - 2210271/4 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org 9. Deadline for submission of Expressions of Interest is Wednesday 24th August 2016 at 1600 hours Kenyan local time.
DIRECTOR, PUBLIC PRIVATE PARTNERSHIPS UNIT FOR: PRINCIPAL SECRETARY